Thursday, March 21, 2013

Plop! Plop! Fizz! Fizz!

PLOP! PLOP! FIZZ! FIZZ!

March 8, 2013 by  
Filed under Daily Devotions
By Elaine James -
I was feelin’ good about my clothing choice and pink lipstick for the day. Stepping out into the fresh air, I prayed my ritual prayer with a gentle whisper “God let me be in the moment and be in the right place at the right time for You.” I was digesting my breakfast and the scripture of the day:
“Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—for He grants sleep to those He loves” (Psalm 127:1-2 NIV).
I was heading to the local coffee shop in response to a friend’s e-mail stating “We should get together for coffee. I want to toss around the idea of a prayer group for parents…what do you both think?” The “both” was referring to my longtime girlfriend and me. I was actually thinking “Really, God? Another prayer group?” Poor attitude. Shame on me!
To make a long story short, this lady was in fear of the bad influence the world is having on our children. So legit! I too can work myself up into a mind loop of despair questioning “What if they take that influence and make bad choices themselves?”
My friend and I shared many scriptures that morning. I took out my phone Bible and read the above scripture. Side note: taking a verse from the morning into the day is so important. If we don’t put Jesus first everything we do will be done in vain. I didn’t make this stuff up; God did. We prayed together and she invited Jesus into her house (heart). The day denoted a new birth for her future. We left committed not only to pray but study the Word together. She was convicted that a prayer for a new beginning and the prospect of learning the Word dispelled darkness of fear and shed light on her new found path.
If you follow my devotions you can sometimes expect to get a jingle out of me. The one that comes to mind at the end of this God story is this; PLOP! PLOP! FIZZ! FIZZ! Oh what a relief it is!
Jesus plops scripture in front of us and fizzles our anxious thoughts into a pool of water that gives medicinal relief.
Jesus loves you! You can love Him back with this simple prayer of relief!
Father in heaven I want to follow you today. I am a sinner. I know Jesus died for me and rose from the dead so that I can eternally be with You. Thank you for calming my anxious thoughts. From this day forward help me to rise early and build my house with You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

No comments: