Monday, January 18, 2016

GIFTS

I read this scripture today.

A widow's son was raised from the dead. Jesus told her "Don't cry."

The observers who were filled with awe praised God and declared "A great prophet has appeared among us." God has come to help his people. This news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding country.

I have had a lot of time alone in the past months. Before this time of rest, I was in a place of filling my schedule with my thoughts and work. I stress "My" thoughts. Interestingly I quit everything. Let me make it clear. I didn't quit on my family, God or my home. I just quit "Work." 

I am so tempted to fill my time with anything. The loneliness can be hard but after much time I realize that the loneliness is good. The pain is hard but I just know God is here. He is with me and everyday is a gift. For now I must just be quiet.

Back in November 2015 I found a discipline of St. Ignatius. He found his way to the heart of God. At the beginning of the day or the end of the day I do a time of "Examin." I play music or get quiet and just reflect on the gifts of the day. I began to see God in a new light. From the smallest of things I saw God. From seeing my daughter smile. Or someone enjoy art. That is a gift. When I read scripture and make a personal connection that is a gift. That means I experienced God. He showed up. I didn't need someone to be raised from the dead to see God. I see God in moments. 

Do you experience that?
I love Zephaniah 3:17 he rejoices over me with gladness; quiets me with His love; he exults over me with singing. 
If He gave peace to Zephaniah he can show me peace. Our scriptures are full of the promise of inner peace. That's what matters. 

I have to be honest. There was a couple close to me that weren't getting along. It disturbed me. I got a little caught up emotional so I decided to text some close friends and ask for prayer. I know I must trust in the power of those prayers. What came out of the those prayers? I woke up the next day earlier than usual with this song on my heart "Jesus at the center of my life." I have not played that song for years or heard it recently yet It was on my heart and I was fighting getting up and paying attention to it. Then I reached for my phone brought the song up on youtube. The first singer who sang that song that was on the play list was Israel Houghton. I said to myself "No, this can't be." Let me explain. Israel Houghton had come to our church the weekend before and I missed the service. I felt a little guilty that I didn't attend. I didn't know he sang that song so I clicked play. It was beautifully sung and it reminded me that nothing else matters but Jesus at the center of my life. My heart truly exploded with love that I played it like three or four times. 

During the playing of the song I experienced so much strength in the Spirit. I knew things would be okay. I heard in my heart "Elaine, you missed church but i can bring worship right here in your room, anytime any place. I am here." It meant so much that God exalted over me with singing. He let me know the Spirit was moving about to help and all I have to do is pray, worship and enjoy the peace. 

I went on with my day filled with power. It is so true. God came down to help us be alive in the Spirit. 

I'm focusing on being Spirit led not Elaine led.


Pray, Jesus I want you to be the center of my life. From my heart to heaven be the center. Nothing else matters. Strengthen me to allow this transformation to happen. From beginning to the end. Amen.

After thought. Found out Israel sang this song at the past weekend service. Why do these things happen? I say to myself, dah, you have asked that Jesus show up. He wants to make himself known and real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF8IfktCgqk
listen for yourself.

He is above and beyond anything in our life. Above our pain, loneliness, worries, anxieties, relationships. Above it all.




No comments: