Wednesday, August 1, 2018

WHOSE THE BOSS?

THE SCHULENBERG PRAIRIE, AT THE MORTON ARBORETUM

Forty five minutes had gone by...this plant was told to be amongst the wildflowers at the
Schulenberg Prairie, Morton Arboretum. The experts who identify plants, record their findings, classify them but could not find it. No wonder, the tallgrass was at its peak with thick and lush flowers and grass everywhere.

But then among them all it appeared....
the beauty of the bright purple flowers...

Ironweed


 - Vernonia fasciculata

They felt like giving up.

They felt so disappointed.

"Let's move up the path and find other undentified plants." "Yeah, let's give up."
"Is giving up an option?", I questioned.
"Wait, what did I just ask? Is giving up an option? Did they look hard enough. Did they ask the recent spotter the right questions? Did they listen correctly? 
Did they really want to record this today? No excuse to give up because of weather, it was just right today! Were they tired? I could hear and see the frustration on their face.They turn to their guide book and photos, retrace their steps, why can't they find the flower?

My mind wanders to the times of when I am in my own personal struggle. Trying to map my way out. All the frustration, disappointment and hopeless feelings crowded out any possible positive thoughts. Further thought leads me to where I always go for condolence, solace, rest, a safe place.
In the nape of my fathers shoulder. I sit, rest my head, close my eyes and breathe.

What have I been reading in the book recently? 

I just read the story 'The Validity of Jesus' Testimony', or in my words "WHOSE THE BOSS", where the religious leaders brought a woman who committed adultery before Jesus. Should they stone her to death, for the law says to? 
Jesus is quiet.
Jesus squats down and writes something in the dirt.
Jesus speaks, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." The people began to leave starting with the oldest.

I thought about reading that in the moment. Hopefully, I am getting wiser, as I get older. Knowing who Jesus is...the doubting of who He said he was, Him and God are equal, is no longer a question anymore to me. The next thing Jesus says, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will NEVER walk in the darkness, but will Have the light of life with them.  

I pray my mind always take my struggle and filter it through His fingers, because I believe he never lets me walk in darkness, and I have that life with me, He helps me to do that. How it was filtered in this moment. A scan of truth makes a list come to mind:
Jesus is real. Believe. He challenges the crowd to cast the first stone if they had not sinned. He knows that we all do sin. The oldest walks away first (they have a longer life of sin).  He doesn't judge. He thought the woman suffered enough, by being dragged by men across town. He releases her and asks her gently to sin no more. She walks away frightened, challenged, but changed. He repeats he is the light of the world. Believe it.

For me I could recall this story many different ways at different points in my life.
Don't judge.
I'm a sinner too.
I'm older, I should know better.
Life challenges us to react with value and morals.
The light of the world is with ME so I can walk, learn, do life. My boss. What He says matters.

Miraculously, we found the flower soon before giving up happened. It was glorious. It's on the charts now as a finding for everyone to know. Someone else can now come find and see for themselves.

I pray the same for you. That when circumstances that arise good or bad, you will filter it through the grace of Christ. Joy will bubble up and cause a reaction.

Check it out.
Lord help each of us to find Jesus amongst our tallgrasses of life, so we can calm down and wait. Amen.

No comments: