Thursday, May 8, 2008

Enchanted

Dear Friend:

I was watching the movie “Enchanted.” Have you seen it? I have to say it was worth seeing. If you did not see it, I am sure if you grew up seeing any of the Disney movies like “Snow White” or “Cinderella” this sort of combines them. Today what I want to focus on is the “Red Delicious Apple” that was given to the princess to entice her into believing “if” she eats the apple things will change for the better. Hmmm? I wonder where this age old idea came from.

Don’t wonder any longer. I am going to tell you where it came from, God’s word. Right in the beginning of the world back in Genesis, READ GEN. 2:15 TILL END OF CHAPTER 3 IMAGINE YOU’RE IN THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GARDEN EVER CREATED AND SINK INTO THE DRAMA OF Adam and Eve’s story. God said “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.” Satan (the serpent) responds by deceiving or confusing Eve to what God really asks in verse 3:1 “did God really say, ‘you must not eat from any tree in the garden?’” She replies ‘you must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’” She sort of quoted what God said didn’t she? The serpent asks “you will not surely die.” “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” This was a lie! LIE= FALSE STATEMENT WITH DELIBERATE INTENT TO DECEIVE FOR DETRUCTION. God lovingly is like our parents. He knows what we should and should not do and lovingly tries to steer us in the right direction for our own good. Right? Sometimes we hear the truth and know the right thing to do, but our thoughts make an argument in our mind and lie to us and we end up changing our mind. Kind of like a train on one track when it gets to a fork in the track and switches to another track.

You know in “Snow White” and “Enchanted” a prince charming had to come and save the princess with a kiss, because she ate the apple. She did not deserve new life, but the Prince loved her so much that he gave her new life “free” she did nothing to earn it. Jesus is our “Prince” he is the solution to the most unforgiveable sin that started in the Garden in Eden, acting apart from God caused separation. Indeed Eve and Adam did not physically die, but their eyes were opened and life was completely on their own free will. We have that free will today. God really has called us to draw near to Him and the only solution he could bring was Jesus on the cross, by His death and resurrection. We keep separating ourselves from God with some new philosophies that are out there today. Here are a few:

1. Eckhardt Tolle’s book A New Earth. Some truth mixed with philosophy. Just like Eve did with the serpent in the Garden. Truth mixed with lies.

2. If I am good, I will go to heaven. How good is good enough?

3. There is not evil in people. Everyone’s perfect?

4. My fortune cookie said “rely on your own good judgment to lead you to success.”

Do you leave God out of decisions?

You maybe asking “Elaine, aren’t you being a little harsh?" I am just quoting God’s word, ask Him if I am being a little harsh, he said it not me.

Praying scripture: Proverb 3:5-6 Lord help me trust in you with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding; in all my ways help me acknowledge you and you will make my path straight. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Enchanted by God,

Elaine

No comments: