Thursday, February 19, 2015

GOOD GRIEF

Recently I followed up with a elderly lady whose husband died. I asked her how she was doing and she responded "Honestly I don't even want to answer the phone because I don't want to answer that question." She was not being rude she was being honest.

I hung up feeling sad that I was one of many who had been asking her that dreaded question. The incident prompted me to really consider my words for the grieving. Remember grieving can be anything; the loss of a loved one, job, health etc.

When I asked a funeral director what he says this was his response "I don’t usually like the “how are you doing?” question.  It sounds too canned and does not always get an honest answer.
I might open by saying that I wanted to follow up and let you know that they are still in our prayers.  Then, rather than ask the question, I might say, “I’m hoping that you’ve been able to get through this time OK.”  See if there is any response to either of those statements.  If not, they don’t want to talk- but you’ve still made them feel cared for."

It's nice to follow-up with the grieving help them with  "Good grief." 
I was walking around saying good grief I do not know what to say.

I thought a good verse to go with this note today would be
"Greater love has no one than this;  to lay down one's life for one's friends" (John 15:13 NIV).

PRAYER:  Lord help me with my words so that I help others. Amen.

No comments: