Tuesday, February 12, 2008

M.A.D.

Dear Friend:

Have you ever wondered if you can truly MAKE A DIFFERENCE in someone’s life? I have been praying about this and the scripture that comes to my mind is

Pr 15:1 - A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.


I have had some moments lately where I have put this into practice and have found we truly can make a difference. I am writing this not to brag, but to encourage you to go M.A.D. I want to boast about Jesus and the truth of what He taught us while He did His ministry here on earth. He truly went M.A.D. and had the greatest impact on earth for all eternity. Even his disciples went on to go M.A.D. and then their followers and so on…. Acts 14:27 On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles.

I was volunteering in the hospital on the transitional floor. That is where patients are in rehab from surgery or many things for several weeks. There was an older Italian lady name Isabella, and as I entered her room she was crabby. Ask me, “How crabby was she?” She was so crabby that she looked like a dog that was going to attack me. So I looked at her and said “oh my nieces’ name is Isabella.” Isabella, do you know what your name means? She gruffly said “no.” I said the only reason I know is because I looked it up when my niece was born and it means “consecrated to God.” To which she replied (gruffly again)” I don’t feel like God cares, look at the condition I am in.” I said “do you need anything or how can I help you today.” She said “I can use a newspaper, I did not get one.” So I went and got her a newspaper and when I brought it back (right away I must add) she smiled and her whole demeanor had changed. She actually smiled. When I was ready to go home and almost on the elevator I thought about Isabella so I strolled back to her room and noticed she had just been served her lunch. I said “I am going home and wanted to say good-bye” and she said “thank you.” Then I asked her can we I pray for you and this lunch and she said “yes I would like that.” So she grabbed my hand and we thanked God for the food and asked that Isabella get strong fast and she would know in some way that God is there with her. When I got home I thought to myself “we can MAKE A DIFFERENCE.” We can give a gentle answer and it can turn away wrath. Praise God!

The next day I was on the tennis court with a lady that was trying to rattle my partner and me by picking on our calls and trying to make drama. Every time she did that I would say nothing or very kindly say “Pat you are a very nice lady, I know that you know I made that call right.” She was very kind through out the rest of the match and especially at the finish (when we had won!!! Yes!). I know she has a reputation for starting trouble, but that gentle answer just wouldn’t let her bring on her wrath.

I hope you are getting my point and will consider putting your emotions aside and giving someone who does not deserve kindness a gentle answer. Let’s pray: Father in Heaven bless you today. Bless me with the ability to M.A.D. with my responses each day. Thank you Father for helping me... In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

M.A.D.

Elaine

No comments: