Friday, March 21, 2008

O.M.G.

Dear Friend:

Think of your first response when you hurt yourself. What do you say? When someone tells you something shocking, what do you say? The word God is so universal. I bet you more than 90% of us say “oh my God” to quite a few responses through out our day. When someone sneezes do you respond by saying to them “God bless you” and do you really mean it? I have tried to teach my kids not to walk around saying “Oh my God.” I would rather have them say “Gosh” or “goodness.”

When used properly “Oh my God” is a great response to a cry for help. It is a great beginning to a prayer to our Father. Why do so many people scream out “Oh my God” and really not even know what they are saying? It is a habit for many. With all the text messaging today I now hear O.M.G. from the kid’s mouths.

I was having a great visit with a patient at the hospital and we were talking about God and how important he is in our lives. She said “I think God is important to a lot of people, then she asked “what is the first thing someone says when they hurt themselves? “ She answered the question before I could and said “OH MY GOD.” Not all people respond that way but I did agree that many do.

Below read the cries of God’s people crying out to Him:

2Ki 6:15 - When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?" the servant asked.

1Ch 4:10 - Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request.

Job 6:8 - "Oh, that I might have my request, that God would grant what I hope for,

Job 29:4 - Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God's intimate friendship blessed my house,

Ro 11:33 - Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!

It is ok to talk to God about anything and there is no right way to say what you want to say. Just talk as if you were talking to your friend. Jesus so intimately in His last hours cried out to God. I hope in this Easter season that you take the time to read the Gospels account of Jesus last days on earth. I think his greatest cry was Luke 22:42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 22:43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.

22:44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

I pray that an angel from heaven appear for you today and strengthen you.

Let’s pray: Father in heaven hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come your will be down here on earth. Thank you for another day on earth. Keep me and my family from evil. Help me to forgive those that are hard to forgive. Forgive me for________for thine is kingdom and power and glory for ever and ever Amen.

I anticipate that something beautiful and wonderful will happen to you.

Reading Jesus last moments,

Elaine

No comments: