Thursday, October 9, 2014

IMPULSIVE RESPONSE STEEPED IN TRUTH


Dear Friend: 

My day was disrupted by my family making an accusation against me. I felt it was unjust.
I stirred within. I questioned "Why don’t they respect my truth?" I wanted them to understand what was deep within me. I hate quarrels. My desire is to talk things out. Taken aback, I made an impulsive response steeped in truth–but I said it wrong.
Ugh! I needed help. I ran to my bedroom and prayed. My heart fought. I asked God for forgiveness. "Help me. I don’t want to hold things against others. Take my thoughts, emotions, body and impulses. I can’t do this. I’m too forceful. I need Your perspective so that I can let it go."
I was reading through Exodus 10 where Moses asks Pharaoh "How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me?" (v. 3, NIV).
Imagine if we all walked humbly with our God.
I want to do what the scripture says, yet I don’t want to be a doormat. I want to walk humbly with my God and love others. "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8 NIV).
Jesus invites us to come and learn from Him for He is gentle and humble in heart. If we learn from Jesus we can be more gentle and humble in heart. Yeah, progress! We don’t have to stay the same.
It is important for me to have these scriptures memorized. At times like this the Spirit gently reminds me of how God wants me to deal with conflict. I was able to give it to Him and let Him take care of the hearts of those in the home. Sometimes He may have me state a fact and then let it go or He may have me go back and apologize for my quick tongue.
I found each of their hearts had been softened. We were able to talk together and speak the truth in love. We can all come to a simple conclusion. Each of us can have a day like this. We love each other and we want to stay in the relationship for better and for worse. Nobody is perfect, after all!
PRAYER:  Father in heaven I want to walk humbly with you each day. Take me, walk with me, and teach me your ways. Amen.

No comments: