Monday, January 19, 2015

Martin Luther King

Thier house burnt down. Nothing is left. They are faithful people despite their tragedy.

When I met this couple just the other day, I asked myself "Why did this happen?" They proceeded to tell me it was an accident and the husband tried to put it out but it spread so fast. My heart ached as she told me the clothes she had on were borrowed. She stopped me and did not want to talk about what she lost. She wanted to talk about God and how faithful he was being to her and her family. She smiled and laughed with me and said with determination "We will remain faithful to God. That is our job. If God asked me to live in a box, then I would live in a box." Faithful. Had I been talking with faithfulness in my recent circumstances? Was I rejoicing and being grateful? Was God getting glory in my life in all my circumstances? My brain did a quick check list. When I talked about about my recent pain in my back it was a "Yes". But I wasn't when I talked about some project I was working on.

It sticks in my mind now because truth does that. I will remain faithful to God.

Today is a simple message with a simple question. Are you remaining faithful to God in all you say and do?

It is not always easy. But imagine what our country would be like if we remained faithful. Martin Luther remained faithful till his death. It is a good reminder that we remain faithful to God. But it also is important to remain faithful to people with respect and dignity. It starts with small conversations and care. We have a way to go in the racial divide still in this country. 

Will you pray with me: God help me to remain faithful to you and others today. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


 

No comments: