Friday, October 23, 2015

PRICELESS

Dear Friend:

I heard someone tell this story.

I hate flying but there I was flying overseas at an altitude of over 37,000 feet worrying  about things like did the pilot get enough sleep or is he capable of flying this jet? After about an hour into the flight I asked the stewardess to check in the cock pit and make sure they were awake. After a couple of more hours I ask her to check again but the stewardess says "Sir, it really is rude and insulting to keep asking a pilot if he is doing his job."

I liken this story to my life and my relationship with God. I keep praying asking things like what is going on here God, what are you up to? When I don't get an answer I ask again and again. It really is rude to keep asking a sovereign God. You maybe saying isn't that a little harsh after all we are taught to be honest with God and ask anything. I get that.

My intent is not to shame us for going to God questioning. My intent is helping us be led by the spirit into life and peace by trusting God. Praying is our greatest way of communicating with God. But I think at some point we have to take responsibility and move on to next steps.

Here is an example. I was to do a teaching that went along with scripture that we were learning in a bible study. The leaders decided to cancel the class. They did not reschedule. I prayed and wrote the talk but now it wasn't going to be used? I questioned that and there was no answer.

Psalm 111 is full of twenty qualities that tell us who God is. He is...
great, glorious, majestic, righteous, wondrous, memorable, gracious, compassionate, provider, covenant keeper, powerful, faithful, just, trustworthy, steadfast, upright, holy, redeemer, awesome and eternal.

I made this list and have been memorizing it. Why? The end of the Psalm states "When we fear the Lord it is wise and we get good understanding." Realizing to just take time to adore the Father by praising Him is powerful.

Just as we remember a pilots training we can remember our Father in heavens qualities and be reassured that they can handle the flights in our life.

The psalmists final words "To Him belongs eternal praise!"

PRAYER:  Father in heaven you are (recite the list above). Thank you for helping me today. Amen.



No comments: