Sunday, April 11, 2010

Comfy Chair

Proverbs 2 1 My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 2 turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, 3 and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,4 and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure, 5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God. 6 For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Dear Friend:
My Pastor talked about taking time out to hear the whisper of God. He shared how a whisper from God brought our church into existence. Of course the message included being in tune with that whisper. Taking time with God builds trust and the more you do it the more it gives you the confidence that you are hearing from Him.
He used an example of a man in our church who decided to get a comfy chair and each day sit in it and read the bible for 20 minutes. As time went on the man heard a whisper prompting him to quit his job and ask our Pastor to work in the church. The man does listen to the whisper and did great things in our church with the help of God.
It reminded me of the time back when I was in my twenties and was depressed. My therapist suggested to me to sit daily in a chair and get comfortable and journal my thoughts. I remember telling my husband “we need to get a comfy chair that will be a safe place for me to rest and journal.” My dear husband surprised me with a gift one day and it was a chair that sits in my bedroom still today. Above the chair is a piece of artwork of Jesus’ hands only and they are extended out with the bible verse Matthew 11:28 on it. I taught my boys when they were little that when Mom is sitting in the chair she is not to be disturbed. One day when I was sitting in that chair and reading the verse above a light bulb went on in my head and I got the whisper from God and understood what Jesus did for me on the cross. I understood on Oct. 2, 1992 that I am a sinner separated from God and that Jesus was the only one who could give me forgiveness of sin and give the gift of eternal life. I never knew when I began sitting in that chair that such great things would come from being quiet and journaling.
I am suggesting that each of us have a place to make sure we listen to God and read His word. Great things can happen in that place and your life could be changed forever.
Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Let’s pray: Father in heaven thank you for your son Jesus who died and rose again for my sins. Help me to continue to seek you and hear from you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.
Joy,
Elaine

No comments: