Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Batman Begins

Dear Friend:

Did you see the movie Batman Begins? It tells the story of the beginning of how Bruce Wayne’s parents died and the journey that happened because of their murder. He wanders off as a young adult in anger and frustration because of that critical childhood event. He lands in prison and while in prison this dialogue took place. A man walks in to his prison cell and Bruce says “who are you?” The man answers “a man that can offer you a path.” Bruce asks “what makes you think I need a path?” The man responds “someone like you is only here by choice and you have become truly lost.” Bruce asks “what path can you offer?” The man starts to talk about a group that wishes to serve true justice and that has chosen the path that has led them to be called the League of Shadows.

Situations in life bring us to the same critical point where we are sitting in a room (feeling like we are in prison) and we find ourselves asking the same questions. Who is God? God says “I can offer you a path.” We ask “what makes you think I need a path?” God responds “someone like you is only here by choice and you have become truly LOST.” Finally and hopefully we may humbly and sincerely ask “what path can you offer?” God responds with his truth and justice of the plan for mankind. In the book of Romans 11:33-36 Paul writes:

Have you ever come on anything quite like this extravagant generosity of God, this deep, deep wisdom? It’s way over our heads. We’ll never figure it out. Is there anyone around who can explain God? Anyone smart enough to tell him what to do? Anyone who has done him such a huge favor that God has to ask his advice?
Everything comes from him;
Everything happens through him;
Everything ends up in him.
Always glory! Always praise!
YES. YES. YES.

By Faith we respond in prayer:
Father help me to walk by faith in your plan and not my own. You walked in obedience to the cross and died for me. Lord I know I will not physically die on the cross as you did, but I understand that I must die to myself and my dependence on man and self. I ask you to forgive me for the times that I have chosen a path that came from some other source than you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

A new beginning,
Elaine

No comments: