Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sleepless Nights 2

Dear Friend:

A dad had an older son who always stayed loyal to his dad’s business. He came to work on time every day. He did everything his dad taught and asked of him. The older son was sad because his younger brother had taken off years ago and took all his inheritance. He had heard through a friends, friend that his brother was living on the streets broke and lonely. The thought of that made him sick. He began to wonder lately if his brother was even alive.

He got up everyday determined to be a good son so his dad can have peace of mind. He saw that his dad hurt at times. The older son began to think it probably would be better if his brother were dead. Then at least it his dad would have finality and could go on.

He got a word that his brother was back and his dad had ordered food, clothes and a big party with all of the employees of the company attending. The dad approached the older son and asked the son to attend the party. The older son said no way. I will never celebrate with my brother. He left you and squandered everything. Yet you have chosen to give him clothes, food and a big party. How could you do that? I have slaved for you and obeyed everything for all these years. You never bought me clothes and threw me a special party. The dad responded “my son everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad; because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.”

This is the second part of Luke 15 the story of the Prodigal son. The part that struck me as I read this passage is how the older son complained “I have slaved and obeyed everything you asked of me.” The word slaved made me ask myself, as a Christian, do I serve God with the right heart and motive? It is so important that we do everything in life with a heart turned toward God. How do you look at everything you do every day? A heart of joy, doing our housework, taking care of the kids, jobs etc...

Let’s pray: Father forgive me for serving at times without joy. Lord give me the right heart to serve.
In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Serving the Lord with joy,
Elaine

No comments: