Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Question

When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?” Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” John 21:20b-21

Dear Friend:

Sometimes don’t you just want to be able to know what is going on with someone and be able to tell others? These days we live in a world where communication can be passed along so fast by text messaging or e-mailing. We can get a hold of people so fast we never have to wait. We can be so impulsive with information we don’t even have to think but just react and pass it on.

Peter had his last moment with Jesus before Jesus had to leave earth. Peter was walking and talking personally with Jesus and getting his last instructions. He turns to Jesus and asks “what about him, what is going to happen with him?” Peter was referring to the disciple John, who happens to be very close to both of them, and he lets his curiosity get the best of him. He had trouble just staying focused sticking with Jesus and discussing what was between just the two of them.

Do you have the same problem in your prayer life with Jesus? Do you ask a lot of questions about others, when maybe you should be just following Jesus and sticking to yourself? I think Jesus response is pretty clear. “Just follow me!” We of course need to check our motives. Why are we concerning ourselves with other people’s matters? Something to think about.

Let’s pray:
Father in heaven thank you for the reminder to “Just follow you.” Help me to keep my eyes on you and the concerns you have with me. Forgive me for sticking my nose in other people’s business. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Trying to mind my own business,
Elaine

No comments: