Monday, December 14, 2009

Slingin' Snot

Luke 2:13-18 At once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God's praises:

Glory to God in the heavenly heights,
Peace to all men and women on earth who please him.
15-18As the angel choir withdrew into heaven, the sheepherders talked it over. "Let's get over to Bethlehem as fast as we can and see for ourselves what God has revealed to us." They left, running, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger. Seeing was believing. They told everyone they met what the angels had said about this child. All who heard the sheepherders were impressed.

Dear Friend:

I am sure curiosity struck you when looked at the title of this Heart 2 Heart and maybe you even exclaimed “gross!” The title came straight out a Pastor’s mouth this past Sunday as he described his story when he reacted to a coat drive that our church is doing. He walked the lobby and saw hundreds of coats hanging everywhere and being a very emotional person he confessed he was “slingin’ snot” or as another would say “crying.” LOL! I never heard that saying so I thought I would pass it along.

In the scripture above it says “seeing was believing.” The shepherds heard but were probably moved emotionally when they saw the Messiah. We don’t always get moved by something significant until we see it with our own eyes. The Pastor was moved by seeing the huge amount of coats in the lobby of the church.

How are you moved by the significance of Christmas? I am always moved to tears when I listen and even look at the words to traditional hymn Christmas songs or rereading the Christmas story. I agree with the angels who in the above verse proclaimed “Glory to God in the Highest and peace to men on earth who please God.” If we want to see God and understand who He is, we must believe. What will you do till December 25, to experience the true meaning of Christmas? I bet you can see God working this Christmas Season if you look like the Pastor did at the church coat drive. God is working through His people all around us, that is the miracle of Christmas.

Let’s pray: Father in Heaven thank you for this time of the year when I remember the birth of the Messiah. Help me to see and believe as the shepherds did. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Should I say I am slingin’ snot or teary eyed over “Christ”mas?
Elaine

No comments: