Thursday, November 29, 2007

Grace = Ease #2

Dear Friend:

Good day! Where do I begin? I wrote to you last about the greeting from St. Paul to the Ephesians

I greet you with the grace and peace poured into our lives by God our Father and our Master, Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 1:2

Little did I know that this message would be shown to me in a very visual way just the next day after writing about grace. Let me say Mercy is withholding the punishment we rightfully deserve. Grace is no only withholding that punishment but offering the most precious of gifts instead. So God expressed grace and mercy to each of us by becoming flesh and living among us. Then he went the step further and actually died for us expressing grace in the ultimate way. Sometimes we see grace lived out in our lives through people. When that grace is given by our children it is even more astounding.

Let me explain where I am going with this letter to you. Yesterday I got up as always and my car was parked in the driveway and not in the garage in its usual spot. In my haste to drive the girls to school, I backed into my son’s car (his brand new car that he is paying for himself). I began to pray for myself, husband and of course for my son. About an hour later I saw my son and said (as I cried) “I am so sorry for hitting your car.” He walked toward me and just gave me a hug and said “it’s okay mom.” What a relief to be given such GRACE. Grace is from above and it can be lived out by each of us. People are more important than things. I have to admit that I was beating myself up asking “how did you hit his car?” I was given grace and not receiving it fully. Until, I went and prayed again saying “Father I need you to ease my mind (help me with this grace).” I know now to go to the word for just that kind of relief; I was led to Psalm 71:1 in you, O Lord, I have taken refuge, let me never be put to shame. (NIV) THE MESSAGE BIBLE SAYS “I RUN FOR DEAR LIFE TO GOD, I’LL NEVER LIVE TO REGRET IT. DO WHAT YOU DO SO WELL; GET ME OUT OF THIS MESS AND UP ON MY FEET.”

I felt ashamed and here I was reading about David praying for the same thing as I was. The word “shame” spoke to me because it reminded me that “God will NEVER be ashamed of me.” I can run to Him and he will never make me feel worse, that is LOVE. Psalm 71:20-21 though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once again. CAN I GET AN AMEN!

For the rest of the day all I could think of was this “God can bring good out of everything.” One incident can teach many people, not just me. My son responded with grace, because at some point he was probably given grace. Grace=ease. Giving grace eases another persons mind.

Let’s pray: Father in Heaven thank you for extending your grace through Jesus Christ. Thank you for all lessons in life that are keeping me humble. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Thanks to my husband and son for extending me grace.

Still having ease of mind because of grace,

Elaine

No comments: