Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Umbrella #4

Dear Friend:

This week has been the week of most of the trees emptying of its leaves. I especially have my favorites like the red and yellow maples, but it is the Gingko tree that gets to me every year. They start from a dark green to a lime green and then begin to change yellow and finally bright yellow. Then the tree looses all its leaves within 24 to-48 hours, and it is done. The ground is so beautiful with the yellow leaves. Did you take the time this fall to just take it all in? Wow! Now my Gingko’s trees are completely empty.

Do you ever hang out with someone that all they want to do is talk about the past in a negative way? You’re excited about doing lunch, coffee etc. and this person always brings up the same whoa is me about the past. At first you think I will solve this problem with so and so and it will be okay. Then you think I will talk about it with them one more time and try and convince them of your solution to their past. Meeting after meeting the same old complaints and worries. You feel like you’re stuck like Bill Murray in the movie “Ground Hog Day.” Remember he repeats the same day and conversations over and over. Then you realize that every phone conversation and meeting together is the same old….she did that or he said this or my mom did this or my dad said this or my friend did this to me or my daughter did this or my son said that…blah, blah, blah. I don’t know about you, but I don’t feel like meeting with that person after a while. What do you do? They feel empty and lost and you feel like you are going to burst.

Jesus helps us to put life all in perspective. At least He should be helping you to put things in perspective. As long as you are grabbing for the “Jesus umbrella,” He can help you. I came across some scripture to help me to see how many if they choose, can be healed from the past and just let go. To choose to be healed and put things in proper perspective is hard, but doable with Jesus. Okay, in my head I hear all the skeptics out there saying “no way, I have gone through this and this, you don’t understand how bad things were.” I may not understand, but God really understands. After all he let His son die such a horrific death. He let Him be led to the slaughter by some bad people.

Philippians 3:13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,

Paul found it important to let go of the past and put His energy into the future. I just asked a lady, who was complaining about an incident that happened 3 years ago, “do you want to be healed?” She said “yes” and then I said “then forgive those who need to be forgiven and ask God to heal your heart from all offenses and to put all your energy into the future, forgetting the past?” Do you believe He can help you to do this? Asking God to help you is all part of our carrying our “Jesus Umbrella” with us daily.

The leaves will be back in the Spring and things will be beautiful again. Our lives can be empty and refilled by our Lord if we let Him into our hearts. Ask yourself today “why am I carrying this umbrella around with me?” There is a reason and purpose for it!

This was the prophecy Isaiah spoke regarding “The Messiah’s Ministry of Peace that he would bring for you and many.”

Isaiah 61:1The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me, because the LORD has appointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to announce that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed.

61:2 He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the LORD's favor has come, and with it, the day of God's anger against their enemies.

61:3 To all who mourn in Israel, he will give beauty for ashes, joy instead of mourning, praise instead of despair. For the LORD has planted them like strong and graceful oaks for his own glory.

Theses verses are rich with so much meaning for me. My favorite part is verse 3 because I love the promise “He will take the ashes of your past and bring beauty.” The Lord will clean us out and put new ways in for “His own glory.” So be a fall tree today and let your leaves of the past die and fall off you and put your energy into the future of new beauty being planted in you.

Let’s pray: Father in heaven today is a new day that I can come before you and ask you to help me to get rid of the things from the past that are taking up all my energy. Thank you for helping me. I want to get rid of it all. Help me to forgive_ (insert name or names) __and forget. Help me to have love for those that have hurt me. Lord plant me and help me to be strong and graceful for your glory. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Still carrying my umbrella,

Elaine

No comments: