Tuesday, November 6, 2007

REALITY CHECK

Dear Friend:

I had a girl that I counseled last week from York. What a hard thing to do. Here a girl comes to me for advice of how to stop doing things she is tempted to do. A couple of verses came to my mind.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

The title of the chapter where this verse appears is “Avoid self-indulgence.” The Israelites were tempted to go the way they FELT they wanted to go. I thought of my own life. Society has been training me to make quick decisions about things. Just this morning I wanted an answer to something. I was reaching for the phone to find the right person to agree with me and then I would be quickly satisfied.

Would I be satisfied? Does quick decisions satisfy us? Doesn’t that satisfaction only last for a short time? True satisfaction comes from God. So, I heard in my head the words of my own messages I give in front of audiences “go to the phone before the throne.” I put down the phone and waited and prayed. This is exactly what I prayed. “Lord I do not feel equipped to counsel this girl, I really don’t know her and how do I trust her, what if she is not sincere and she wastes my time (or your time Lord), what if she doesn’t take my advice and continues to make some questionable decisions, what do I do?” Then I heard the Lord give me the above verse and He said “pray this for her.” Lord let no temptation seize her except what is common to man. God you are faithful don’t let her be tempted beyond what she can bear. But when she is tempted, help provide a way of escape so she can stand up under it.

Then I opened the kids bible from Young Life and came to a passage explaining this verse

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

After I read this passage, I heard God say “Elaine, I give you the words to say; I help others who seek me make decisions. I will always be with you and guide your tongue. Sometimes people don’t like to hear what I have to say. Let me handle that too. I put you in that situation and I just ask you to speak. I will do the rest.” The passage from Corinthians mentions Moses and his journey to lead the Jews who were self-indulging while waiting in the desert to go into their promise land. We are called to lead, but sometimes the people we are leading DON’T LISTEN TO GOD. God does use people to help us on our journey. So this bible from Young life gives this verse and advice to the youth who have a road ahead full of many decisions and it says this “there is nothing more thrilling or satisfying than being used by God to do His work.” How will I recognize the work that God has cut out just for me? Keep traveling along the road to real. Keep exploring God’s Word. Keep engaging with God’s family (people who understand the Word of God). Keep listening to the leading of the Holy Spirit from within and acting on His direction. Keep following the example of Jesus from God’s written word. As you move along the road to real, God will begin to bring to your attention the road work ahead, set aside just for you. One thing is for certain: it will be work that satisfies your soul and brings you deep and lasting joy.

How do you make this message real for you? Do a “reality check” like I did. Check these off:

Did I pray about this? ___

Did I listen for God about my situation? ____ (Usually I use a stop light for the answer Red, STOP, green, GO, and yellow, WAIT AND PROCEED WITH CAUTION)

Finally did a trustworthy person confirm this decision to me? ______

Doing my reality check,

Elaine

No comments: